Thursday, December 3, 2015

Lynparza

So, I might be able to get Lynparza from a specialty pharmacy and have my insurance cover it. The drug is approved by the FDA if you meet a certain list of things and I actually qualify, we think, when we go through the list. This is definitely in the gray area, though. I will know more tomorrow. I am hopeful that I'll get good response with this and am looking forward to taking a pill instead of infusions.

I also am officially going back to work tomorrow, starting part time for the first week and then back to normal after that. I have missed my coworkers and the work that I do. I told them that I was planning to work from home tomorrow to get my paperwork in and done and to start to try to catchup and setup meetings for getting up to speed on things.

I had thought that I would have to be off pain meds before going back to work but after speaking with HR and becoming familiar with my situation and how meds effect me I have decided to not wait for that. I have adjusted to the meds and I feel like I can contribute at a normal amount with what I am currently on. Things are never going to be like they were before I was diagnosed but I'm ready to move on with my new normal.

Yesterday I went to the ER with severe pain in my shoulder and in my side. The pain had lasted for about 12 hours and felt something like charley horse and while I could make it lessen by keeping still in a relaxing position many movements would take the pain right up to a 10 on the pain scale. I couldn't even talk. They gave me  IV pain killers and anti inflammatory meds and did random tests. They decided that I don't have a blood clot, I don't have an electrolyte imbalance, I don't have any heart, kidney or gall bladder issues. Maybe it has something to do with the increase in cancer in lymph nodes near where the pain is. Either way, the sent me on my way. In talking more to my oncologist she talked to me about various prescription drugs that are already in medicine cabinet that I can use to try to help this situation if it comes up again. I really have quite the stash at this point. I really appreciate it that she educates me and gives me all the tools that I might need to be able to help me deal with all of the nasty chemo, drug, cancer side effects and issues. I seriously love my medical oncologist.

The work that I have been doing with mediation was a significant help in dealing with my severe pain. Panic

I also got the results of my PET/CT scan. I have progression in breast, skin and lymph nodes and now also have some action in my liver that wasn't there before. Mostly bad news, but it is good to see that my breast/skin seem to respond the same as the rest of me. We will continue to look at the issue as one problem for my whole system.

Melanie and Bradley have been an amazing support for me. The two of them did transportation to and from the ER and gave me sweet, gentle reassurances, love and support. Wow! I am so happy to have them in my life.



There have also been many others that support me as well. I am overflowing with love for my people. Jonas, Vanessa, Sarah, Erin, Erica, Lisa, Michael, Ryan, Arlene, Jill, Lina, Mom, Mary...The list goes on.


6 comments:

  1. Miss you in class love! Hope to see you dance again soon or heck just MP :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. All my love to you dear Kate. Brave, spiritual warrior. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks everyone :) I was so happy today to not get Chemo and I hope that I get the new drugs today. I feel so full of energy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's to new drugs lady! Thanks for writing your blog, I can follow how you're doing. And jeez you are dealing with a lot. I'm glad to hear you're going back to work! Sending you love! Keep up the good work :-)

    ReplyDelete